- Published on Tuesday, 07 May 2013 15:22
Digital handheld radios rise in supply even as analog units remain dominant.
- Digital models on the rise: Analog handheld two-way radios still dominate China’s output with an 80 percent share, but makers are increasing supply of digital models for better communication quality. Among digital types, DMR and dPMR units are popular for their wide application base and low development cost. Combined, they take up about 90 percent of China’s production of digital radios.
- Feature upgrades: Suppliers of analog products use chips from major providers such as TI, NXP and STMicroelectronics to improve performance. They also adopt high-gain antenna and better scrambler design. Digital variants are fully compatible with analog and digital modes. Many have larger TFT LCDs, support up to 500 channels and have built-in AMBE vocoder to ensure privacy.
- More custom features: The standard scrambler, DCS and CTCSS group features are eight, 105 and 50, respectively. Makers can tailor-make these to support other values. Companies likewise vary external designs to suit diverse user requirements. Water-resistant casings will be mainstream.
- Add-ons: Besides AM/FM radio and flashlight, products will have SMS, emergency alarm and Bluetooth capability. Some models support Internet access and remote sensor as well.
Click here to read the complete article on Global Sources.
Note: This article "DMR, dPMR units spur digital category in handheld two-way radios sector" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through e-magazines and trade shows.
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.