- Published on Friday, 30 November 2012 11:57
Makers adopt the latest chipset and OS to boost product value.
- Performance enhancements: Makers of smartphones in China are adopting 1GHz or faster processors. Many utilize MediaTek’s MT6575 Cortex-A9 1GHz or Qualcomm’s MSM8255 1 to 1.4GHz CPU in high-end releases. Dual-core variants, particularly those based on the MT6577 platform, are expected to find wider adoption by year-end. A growing number of manufacturers also employ Android 4.0 OS for improved response, voice input, video playback and user interface. Android-based units constitute 80 percent of companies’ OEM orders at present.
- Larger screens: Suppliers are increasing display size from the previous 3.2, 3.5 or 4in to 4.3, 4.7 or 5in. Most units likewise adopt capacitive multitouchscreens instead of resistive variants.
- Sales projection: Many companies forecast revenue will climb by 20 to 30 percent in 2H12, thanks to brisk sales. Businesses will focus on entry-level units to boost margins further.
- Price forecast: Manufacturers anticipate falling production costs will pull down quotes by 5 to 10 percent in coming months. Any upward adjustments will depend on the yuan’s appreciation.
"Click here to read the complete article including a Price Guide and Product Gallery on Global Sources."
Note: This article "Elevated performance, bigger screens R&D core in smartphones line" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through e-magazines and trade shows
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.