- Published on Friday, 27 January 2012 15:56
R&D efforts target units with larger screens and higher memory to meet a diverse market base.
- Performance enhancements: Under efforts to boost product performance and broaden market reach, makers are introducing models adopting the hardware of mobile Internet devices. The latest releases pack 800MHz CPUs and 7in 800x480-pixel screens. These can support GPS, Wi-Fi, 3G and A/V playback.
- Advanced solutions: Suppliers utilize Arm11 processors, and turn to key providers Telechips, MediaTek and CSR for the chipsets. High-end portable GPS devices run on the SiRFprima from the last. Other units are based on the SiRFatlasV, TCC8901 and TCC8902 from Telechips, and MediaTek’s MT3351.
- Adding value: Makers equip models with DVR function to enable simultaneous real-time recording and navigation while driving. An FM transmitter, 1 to 3MP camera and TPMS sensors may also included.
- Sales & price outlook: Sales are projected to stay unchanged or decline in 1H12 as a result of rivalry from other product lines such as mobile phones and car DVD players that support GPS function. The majority of suppliers anticipate quotes of basic models to remain stable despite fierce competition and a stronger yuan.
Gat Wick Enterprise Ltd
Description: Telechips TCC8902 Arm11 CPU; 256MB DDR2 RAM; 5in TFT LCD, 800x480 pixels; 3G optional
Kinwei Technology Shenzhen Co. Ltd
Description: STA2064N CPU; 128MB DDR2 RAM, up to 4GB fl ash memory; 5in TFT LCD, 480x272 pixels
Olivesky International Electronic Co. Ltd
Description: MediaTek MT3351 468MHz CPU; 7in TFT touchscreen, 800x480 pixels; 128MB SDRAM, 128MB NAND flash memory
Shenzhen Sukconn Electronics Co. Ltd
Description: 5in screen; 640x480 pixels at 25fps; Windows CE 6.0 OS; 1.3MP camera; CE, FCC, RoHS
Shenzhen Topband Co. Ltd
Description: SiRFatlasV CPU; 7in screen, 800x480 pixels; 128MB DDR RAM, 128MB to 32GB NAND flash memory
Waysion Technology (Xiamen) Co. Ltd
Description: Freescale i.MX28 Arm11 CPU; 7in touchscreen LCD with Mobile Data Terminal; microphone, webcam
Note: This article "Enriched lineup strengthens portable GPS sector" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through our e-magazines, trade shows and industry research.
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.