- Published on Thursday, 19 December 2013 16:12
Dome-shaped tents remain popular. Makers bundle ropes, stakes, mud mats and storage bags.
- Fabrics: Nylon and cotton remain the top choices for both the outer and inner layers for their breathability. The base is usually in 210d oxford with a PU coating of 1,500mm or greater. For the outer tent, 190 to 210 tex or higher taffeta with 300 to 1,500mm PU coating is popular. Some items have up to 3,000mm water-resistant coating. Tents for the beach adopt 300mm PU coating, while those with 800 to 1,200mm and 1,500 to 2,000mm coating can protect from light and heavy rains, respectively.
- Frame: Steel and fiberglass tubes are the main options. The former is mostly for professional-use and high-end tents. It has a diameter of 19 to 5mm and 0.8 to 4mm thickness. The surface is coated with zinc plating or plastic. Mainstream units utilize fiberglass tubes 5 to 10mm in diameter. Thicker tubes are stronger but heavier.
- Enhanced durability: Makers emphasize double-stitched, lap-felled seams and connection areas to protect better against water and wind. The thread, zipper and webbing are treated for water resistance.
- Designs: Dome-shaped tents dominate as the construction leaves no flat spots on the outer layer, which reduces the chances of collecting snow and water. The structure is also stronger. Most releases have mesh windows on the top and the wall for ventilation and viewing. The entrances are equipped with dual zippers.
- Accessories: Ropes, stakes and mud mats are common. The ropes are treated for water resistance. The stakes are made of steel. Some models also come with storage bags for holding glasses, flashlight and other small tools.
Click here to read the complete article on Global Sources.
Note: This article "Material, design upgrades raise camping tent quality" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through e-magazines and trade shows.
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.