- Published on Wednesday, 15 May 2013 16:28
Upcoming models use imported diodes and integrate value add-ons such as dimmers and solar panels.
- Greater luminous efficacy: Makers have raised the luminous efficacy from last year’s 65 lm/W to 75 lm/W. Some units can reach 110 lm/W and last 30,000 to 100,000hr. More China suppliers are adopting Osram, Cree, Edison and Epistar diodes in midrange and upscale designs. These models use up to 100 LEDs rated at 3 to 40W.
- Broader design options: To diversify selections further, companies are rolling out LED downlights in various structures, including round or square bodies, or vertical or horizontal constructions. Some are equipped with a bracket or sun-shaped louver. Aluminum, steel, glass and plastic are the typical materials for the housing, reflector and cover.
- Value add-ons: A number of high-end variants employ dimmable ballasts that allow manual or automatic brightness adjustment. For greater energy savings, several makers use monocrystalline solar panels. Such releases, however, account for only 5 percent of China’s output.
- Wider applications: The majority of products are designed for hotels, stores, shopping malls, museums, art galleries, office buildings and residential spaces. Those developed for outdoor areas are fitted with sealed, weather-resistant enclosures.
Click here to read the complete article on Global Sources.
Note: This article "LED downlight makers raise luminous efficacy, upgrade designs" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through e-magazines and trade shows.
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.