- Published on Tuesday, 20 November 2012 16:53
Environment-friendly barrel materials and novelty-shaped erasers update the line.
- Poplar barrels: This wood type is expected to replace basswood as the dominant material choice. Because the latter matures slowly, its use does not comply with forest conservation efforts. Poplar, on the other hand, is fast-growing and therefore easily available in China. Paper will also be employed but not as widely for cost considerations.
- Novelty erasers: Makers are boosting the adoption of colorful and atypically shaped erasers. These may be affixed to the pencil or bundled separately in sets. Ball, heart, fruit, ice cream and cartoon figures are best-sellers.
- Set packaging: Suppliers are combining erasers, rulers and related items to add value further and widen profit margins. The components may come in matching themes. For instance, an assortment in a sports motif will contain an eraser and a ruler in ball and racket contours, respectively. The barrel will have related prints.
- Price forecast: Companies will increase pencil quotes by 5 percent. Markups on sets will reach 10 percent. These adjustments are due to rising shipping, labor and oil rates
"Click here to read the complete article including a Price Guide and Product Gallery on Global Sources."
Note: This article "Poplar pencil shafts set to overtake basswood" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through e-magazines and trade shows
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.