- Published on Thursday, 26 January 2012 09:02
Suppliers increase utilization of high-end surface treatments as they move upmarket.
- Fancy surface treatments signal upmarket shift: Suppliers are escaping the cutthroat price competition in the low end by boosting product value and moving upmarket. Besides developing unique designs and utilizing better materials, makers are using elaborate finishes to improve their selections. One example is electroplating. Glazing and handpainting are alternatives.
- Terra cotta top material option: Terra cotta will continue to dominate China’s ceramic craft output. This type of clay is preferred for its hardness and plasticity, which make it easy to mold into various shapes. In addition, the processing outlay is lower than that for other materials because terra cotta needs to be baked only at 800 to 1,100 C.
- Decorative & practical uses: As with other craft selections, more ceramic models are designed to be utilitarian aside from being ornamental. Such versions are quoted 10 to 30 percent higher than typical releases.
- Price increase: With all these upgrades, quotes of ceramic crafts from China are expected to climb 10 to 15 percent in coming months. Labor outlay, which has recently surged 30 percent, is another major factor for the markups.
Beijing Stronger Rich Imp. & Exp. Co. Ltd (Fuzhou Office)
Description: Coin bank; rabbit motif; glazed; handpainted; 15x9.5x6.5cm
Iking International Ltd
Description: Jar; antique finish; for indoor or outdoor use; handpainted; 30x20cm
Nansheng I&T Co. Ltd
Description: Rabbit motif; electroplated floral relief pattern; 19x24x22, 21x11x20cm
Shenzhen Zengxing Ceramics Co. Ltd
Description: Container with lid; electrogilded relief pattern; sandblasted body; 25x18x23cm
Xiamen Best Will Imp. & Exp. Co. Ltd
Description: Stoneware mug; handpainted; custom logo or bottom stamp; 14.7x10.8x24cm; FDA
Xiamen Prosper-Link Import & Export Co. Ltd
Description: Jar; Santa Claus motif; glazed; 19.2x19x28cm; CCIB
Note: This article "Fancy finishes mark upscale ceramic crafts" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through our e-magazines, trade shows and industry research.
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.