- Published on Wednesday, 09 May 2012 09:11
Manufacturers are utilizing bamboo rayon and angora in more designs.
- Natural materials: Suppliers are increasingly using plant- and animal-derived fibers. Bamboo rayon and soybean protein are selected because they are smooth and cool to the skin, making them suitable for sports and the summer season. The former is 20 to 30 percent more expensive than cotton and nylon. Angora is preferred for winter designs as it can retain warmth while being thin.
- Ankle length: For both sports and casual models, pairs that sit below the calf or barely peek from shoe uppers are gaining popularity. Shin- and knee-high variants continue to be well-received.
- Improved functionality: Manufacturers are incorporating silver ion in yarns to impart an anti-bacterial feature. The element is also said to aid in the healing of cuts and abrasions on the feet. Textiles are treated for moisture-wicking, deodorizing and UV-protective properties.
- Price & sales projections: Businesses will raise quotes up to 10 percent as expenses climb. Overseas revenue is anticipated to increase as a result of higher costs.
Asia Socks Inc.
Model: Plus AG-01
Description: Plus AG cotton with silver ion; anti-bacterial for more than 1,000 washes; blister protection; deodorizing
Baifuning Textiles Co. Ltd
Description: Bamboo rayon; absorbent, anti-bacterial, deodorizing; in various patterns, colors
Haining Kindway Imp. & Exp. Co. Ltd
Description: Angora, acrylic, polyester, spandex; Rosso-linked toes; 108N; anti-bacterial, breathable
Shanghai Charmkey Industry Co. Ltd
Description: 70:27:3 cotton-nylon-spandex; size 35-38 to 46-48; white, khaki, green, iron gray, navy or black
Shanghai Tex-Prestige Co. Ltd
Description: 97:3 nylon-spandex; warmth-retentive; sweat-absorbent; anti-pilling; retains shape; in various colors
Zhuji Yiheng Socks Co. Ltd
Description: 32s acrylic, 3075 spandex; 144N; in various patterns
Note: This article "Plant, protein fiber usage grows in socks industry" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through our e-magazines, trade shows and industry research.
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.