- Published on Wednesday, 03 July 2013 17:01
Suppliers bolster functionality via better antennas, sensors and alarms, and improve product intelligence and platform adaptability.
- Feature & function improvements: Suppliers use external high-gain antennas to increase sensitivity. Some new units can record speed, gas throttle, break, oil pressure, water temperature and fuel levels, and monitor travel status. Others combine G- and shock sensors, or a car alarm system for added security. Trackers with a cigarette lighter adapter and an OBD interface represent another R&D direction.
- Reliability & durability: Makers, particularly those targeting commercial and public vehicles, emphasize electromagnetic shielding and heat dissipation, and toward this end use metal casings. Products have protection circuitry against surge, and overcurrent and -heating. Many have water- and vandal-resistant housings.
- Software enhancements: Mainstream trackers support real-time e-map positioning and travel recording. In line with efforts to enhance product intelligence and multiplatform adaptability, suppliers are working on large-scale fleet and public transportation scheduling and management, and vehicle emergency and rescue. Many are keen on mobile software client to realize remote and real-time surveillance and management.
- More compact designs: Slimmer, easy-to-install constructions are increasing in supply. Most of these are aimed at private vehicles and can be as small as a cigarette pack. Many new models double as portable trackers. The bulk of releases have the standard USB port.
Click here to read the complete article on Global Sources.
Note: This article "Feature, software boost raises performance of car GPS trackers" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through e-magazines and trade shows.
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.