- Published on Thursday, 19 December 2013 16:15
Most companies offer models with a storage capacity of 32GB and below. Products with memory larger than 32GB represent a minority.
- USB 2.0 leading standard:Flash drives based on USB 2.0, which account for 80 to 90 percent of China output, will continue to dominate because of the huge supply of devices using this protocol. Although models adopting the 3.0 specifications will rise in coming months, they will not breach mainstream due to limited demand, especially in the premiums and gifts sectors.
- Faster transmission: Read speed hits 30MBps, while write speed reaches 15 to 20MBps for USB 2.0 models. Units adopting the 3.0 protocol support 40 to 70MBps read and write rates. More releases have data security protection, with several capable of more than 1 million data encryption. Products are also designed as shock- and moisture-resistant, and come with multiple plugs. Some have have OTG connectivity.
- Diverse designs: Cartoons, animal shapes and other styles continue to broaden selections. Many companies are investing in private molds for increased differentiation.
- Growing market share but still minority sector: Units with capacity larger than 32GB represent only 20 percent of China’s total yield of USB flash drives. Most makers emphasize models with 32GB and below memory. Versions with 64 and 128GB will slowly rise in supply for special applications.
- Imported memory chips & modules: Almost all China suppliers use inputs from Samsung, Toshiba, SK Hynix and Micron. MLC chips are popular with an 80 percent share of chips adopted, and the rest are of the SLC variety.
Click here to read the complete article on Global Sources.
Note: This article "USB 2.0 models dominate large-capacity USB flash drives line, but 3.0 units on the rise" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through e-magazines and trade shows.
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.