- Published on Friday, 06 December 2013 17:55
Many companies are turning to smaller 13.3, 10 and 7in models or tablet PCs to follow mobile electronics trends.
- Performance boost: Makers use Intel Celeron, Atom and Core CPUs for entry-level and midrange units, and Haswell Shark Bay processors for upscale models. DDR3 RAM is widely adopted, with 1 to 4GB type going into intermediate releases and 8GB options in advanced ones. SATA HDDs are mainstream, although many high-end laptops adopt SSDs with maximum 128GB capacity. For the screens, companies utilize LED-backlit LCDs delivering 1366x768 pixels. Low-end and midrange products incorporate local or Taiwan panels, while advanced versions have Samsung, LG Display or Sharp inputs. In terms of OS, Windows XP, Vista and 7 are popular in the low end, and Windows 7 and 8 in the high end.
- Adding value: To boost sales, companies are incorporating webcam, digital TV, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 3G, touchscreen, G-sensor, touchpad and DLNA. More products will support HDMI and USB 3.0. In line with safety enhancement objectives, suppliers are developing anti-shock and -theft, and fingerprint recognition features. Some releases are weather-resistant.
- Decreasing demand: The increasing market penetration of tablet PCs, mobile Internet devices, smartphones and phablets will continue to eat into the share of laptops. Many makers are turning to smaller 13.3, 10 and 7in models or tablet PCs. Some large companies, however, will continue to release 14in products in overseas markets for branding.
- Declining export prices: Quotes will continue to drop due to the impact of mobile electronics. The dip is expected to range from 5 to 10 percent in the next six months.
Click here to read the complete article on Global Sources.
Note: This article "Makers bolster product features to boost slowing 14in laptops category" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through e-magazines and trade shows.
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.