- Published on Thursday, 25 July 2013 16:23
Products in this segment support 512MB RAM, 802.11 b/n/g, Bluetooth, a front or back camera, and a USB 3G dongle.
- Rising supply: Models quoted $50 or less currently represent 30 to 40 percent of all mobile Internet devices produced in China. The output share will continue climbing in the months ahead, owed to increasing demand in North America and Europe.
- 7in Android models lead: Units with 7in screens dominate with about 90 percent share of yield. The rest comprises 5 and 6in variants. Mainstream 7in releases feature 800x480 pixels, and 1024x600 types are optional. More companies are turning to 5-point capacitive touchscreens. In terms of OS, models based on Android 4.0 to 4.2 take up 90 percent of supply, and the remainder runs on Windows.
- Basic features: Products in this category have 512MB RAM, although some feature 1GB and many enable external card storage of up to 32GB. MIDs support 802.11 b/n/g, Bluetooth, front or back camera, USB 3G dongle and major A/V formats. G-sensor and GPS can be added on request. The mainstream interfaces are USB and DC-in 5V ports, stereo earphone, speaker and microphone jacks, and SD card slots. A SIM slot is optional.
- Shift to local solutions: Arm Cortex-A8 or Cortex-A9 processors are widely used. About 80 percent of models adopt single-core CPUs, and the rest dual-core kinds. The mainstream frequency ranges from 1 to 1.2GHz, with 1.5GHz maximum. More companies are turning to domestic providers such as Infotmic and Allwinner for better cost efficiency.
Click here to read the complete article on Global Sources.
Note: This article "7in Android-based models dominate category for sub-$50 mobile Internet devices" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through e-magazines and trade shows.
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.