- Published on Tuesday, 27 August 2013 17:14
The latest variants support 85 to 90kph and incorporate EPS power steering, power windows and other electronic features.
- Affordable models: More China companies are rolling out electric sedans, SUVs and minivans for below $20,000. Typically 3 or 4-wheel designs, these can seat up to five people. Models adopt 3 to 26kW AC or DC motors and are powered by 48 to 96V lead-acid maintenance-free batteries. The average charging time ranges from 7 to 10hr for a running distance of 150km. To cater to the EU market, some low-speed yet upscale products have EEC certificate. Others undergo the crash test in China.
- Performance enhancements: The latest variants support 85 to 90kph, higher than 70kph of older releases. EPS power steering, power windows, and other electronic parts and features are increasingly adopted. Products can come with manual or 5 to 6-speed automatic gearboxes, an air conditioner and front seat heaters.
- Smaller designs: Suppliers are releasing 4-seater electric cars 3,000 to 3,200mm long, shorter than the previous 3,400mm. A few companies are manufacturing 2-seater variants with 2,200mm length.
- Material upgrades: In line with the lightweight trend in the industry, makers are employing fiberglass shells and aluminum alloy frames and wheels instead of iron and steel.
Click here to read the complete article on Global Sources.
Note: This article "Rising supply yields 3, 4-wheel electric cars under $20,000" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through e-magazines and trade shows.
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.