- Published on Wednesday, 03 April 2013 11:49
A few high-end product makers are switching to BSI CMOS for better imaging. G-sensor, GPS and radar detector are increasingly adopted for increased value.
- Video recording: Mainstream models support MPEG-4 or H.264 and D1 to 720p resolution. In the low end, M-JPEG and VGA resolution are common, while high-end units employ H.264 and deliver 720p or 1080p. Most releases enable multimethod recording.
- Imaging sensor: CMOS sensors from Pixelplus, Aptina and OmniVision are widely used, delivering 300,000 pixels, 1.3 and 5MP respectively in basic, midrange and upscale models. Some advanced units employ BSI CMOS from Sony and OmniVision. CCD kinds remain limited to the high end due to high costs. IR LED is optional across all categories.
- Display: Low-end car black boxes do not have a built-in screen but can export images to other devices via the AV port. Pricier variants sport a 1.5 to 3in LCD. Some units adopt a flip design for ease of use.
- Other features: The built-in memory ranges from 128MB to 4GB. All products have an SD or a microSD slot providing up to 32GB additional capacity. Suppliers are adding G-sensor, GPS, radar detector and rotating lens to boost product value.
Click here to read the complete article on Global Sources.
Note: This article "Upcoming car black boxes support HD, adopt improved image sensors" was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through e-magazines and trade shows.
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.