- Published on Thursday, 08 November 2012 16:46
Models made of PP, ABS and other types of plastic dominate releases. For metal designs, aluminum alloy is the top option.
- Plastic designs dominate: Amid fuel efficiency concerns, plastic remains the preferred material for body kits because of its light weight. ABS is the primary option in grille guards and fenders, while PP models are the mainstream in bumpers.
- All-metal & plastic-metal options: In the metal segment, aluminum alloy designs top releases as these are generally lighter than steel versions. In bumpers, some suppliers are combining cold rolled steel crossbeams with plastic covers to reduce weight while maintaining strength.
- Target applications: Most body kit manufacturers are designing models for light vehicles, in particular those with engine displacements not exceeding 1.6L. Suppliers are aligning selections with vehicle trends, which project compact cars will dominate sales in coming years.
- Sales & price projections: Revenue from overseas shipments is expected to remain relatively flat in 2H12. Although vehicle sales in the US are recovering, demand from the EU is still down due to the financial crisis. To attract more buyers, many suppliers intend to keep product quotes stable.
"Click hereto read the complete article including a Price Guide and Product Gallery on Global Sources."
Note: This article "R&D geared toward lightweight body kits'"was originally published by Global Sources, a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with China manufacturers and India suppliers, providing essential sourcing information to volume buyers through e-magazines and trade shows
All price quotes in this report are in US dollars unless otherwise specified. FOB prices were provided by the companies interviewed only as reference prices at the time of interview and may have changed.
Disclaimer: All product images are provided by the companies interviewed and are for reference purposes only. Those product images featuring products with trademarks, brand names or logos are not intended for sale. We, our affiliates, and our affiliates' respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents or contractors, do not accept and will not have any responsibility or liability for product images (or any part thereof) which infringe on any intellectual property or other rights of a third party.