by Mike Bellamy
I am trying to purchase Nikon cameras and I find that none of the suppliers are willing to accept payment via paypal, alipay or LC. What is going on with using these secure payment transactions?
There could be multiple reasons, but based on my experience, here are the two most likely candidates:
1. What is your order size and is your order size appropriate for the seller? Sometimes the larger sellers who deal in volume don’t want the headache of setting up paypal or using L/C as they deal steadily in large orders for a select group of buyers. More on that at this blog post: Why Do the Suppliers Ignore Me?
2. Another reason may be that you are falling into a trap with a scam. Once you send money to a private account, they disappear. That is why they may say on their website, they accept paypal, but then give you 100 reasons why they can’t when it comes time to place an order.
Some additional thoughts:
1. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to find a branded product like Nikon cameras in China at a price lower than you would find them back home (US for example) due to the tax structure in China. This link explains: Genuine products from China? So please be careful.
2. The best way to protect yourself is to do your due diligence upfront to make sure the seller is legit. Then when it comes time to place an order, make sure you or an independent party inspects the goods before they ship and before you pay. Third party inspection from firms like www.AsiaQualityFocus.com only cost a few 100 USD. So if you can’t afford that service to source safe, your order is too small to be going China direct in the first place.
3. If you find out the supplier is a scam, please post them to www.SupplierBlacklist.com and help out other buyers.
4. Here is a series of short videos offering a tutorial on how to source safely from China.
Video 1: Finding Suppliers
Video 2: Evaluating Suppliers
Video 3: Negotiations
Video 4: Project Management and Quality Control
Video 5: Protecting Your Intellectual Property
Video 6: Leveraging Global Sources
Video 7: How to Find and Manage Partners for Logistics
Video 8: Avoiding Scams
Video 9: Returning Defective Products
Video 10: Resolving a Dispute
Let me know how things work out for you.