- Published on Tuesday, 07 April 2015 13:47
by Renaud Anjoran
This is the fourth in the series of articles helping you through the New Product Development process. We will actually break it into 12 separate articles.
In this post we’ll briefly go over the objectives of this phase.
During the product development phase the product is designed, built, tested and finalized ready for mass production. The main tasks in order to achieve this are listed below (obviously this is an example that needs to be adapted to your product):
- PCB / hardware design
- Physical mechanical parts design
- All parts to have a prototype built
- Product functional testing
- Design review iterations
- Build of pre-production tooling
- Initial product build
- Assembly review
- All safety and regulation requirements testing and approval
- Technical data pack including all engineering drawings and specifications.
- Also included in this phase are the design for the product packaging, user instructions, marketing materials and any other item requiring design input.
Many good articles are coming up soon…
Renaud Anjoran has been managing his quality assurance agency (Sofeast Ltd) since 2006. In addition, a passion for improving the way people work has pushed him to launch a consultancy to improve factories and a web application to manage the purchasing process. He writes advice for importers on qualityinspection.org.